Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Hickory Grove Baptist Church Christmas Experience

I know, I know ... I still haven't gotten to the McAddenville stuff yet, I will get to it sometime, or I hope I will but in the meantime, here is a picture and short video of Jade ice skating at the Hickory Grove Baptist Church Christmas Experience.

Some of you might remember we went last year but I have to say we were a little disappointed this year, they didn't have their usual rides for the kids outside which was a shame considering the almost heatwave we are going through in the middle of Winter, it would have been a perfect day. We remember last year we froze our butts off but this year it was very warm, at times actually hot if you are standing in the sun. They also didn't have their horse and carriage ride which we all took last year and thoroughly enjoyed :-( There was still the puppet show what was a little better this year, a train ride around a small Christmas village, Jade got to see Santa, Rudolph and of course her favorite is Frosty.

They had their usual jumping castle and the normal Christmas crafts and this year Jade even got her face painted, Frosty lasted a short while and was completely gone by the time she hit the ice, more on that later.

They also had the nativity scenes outside like they normally do with all the live animals which Jade loves, there was a good bunch to see but I think last year there was more.

My favorite of course is the Christmas show they put on, this church is huge and their volunteer orchestra is as big almost as, what I feel city orchestras are here, their choir is huge and then they have tons of solos too, it is so professionally done with the dancing and lighting being awesome, there was even fake snow of course that fell at times. I usually go in and get a good seat and Dave and Jade come in later and sit upstairs and watch from there, Dave said she actually watched most of it this time which I couldn't believe but that's cool, maybe next year she will sit with me or we can all sit together, I know this isn't dads thing but anyway. We also get to sing carols with the choir which is nice ... can you tell I love this, Christmas here in the States is mind blowing, it's the best time of the year for us for sure.

Then just before we left we went and did the ice skating, now for those that didn't read all this last year, it's not real ice, it's a plastic surface with some sort of spray on stuff on it that makes it feel like ice. You use real ice skates on it and I think the only difference is it makes you go a little slower than on real ice which in our case is a good thing. Dave didn't put skates on but he went out here with her and as usual she didn't want to hold his hand, she actually was doing pretty well until daddy which I have come to the conclusion is a very bad influence, told her to do pirouettes, can you imagine that well of course she was up for the challenge and as you can see she didn't do too badly.

Unfortunately we did have one really bad fall where she totally wiped out and even hit her eye and cheek on the floor, ice ... whatever. I knew she was hurt when she cried but Dave soon got her up but she had somewhat lost her nerve by that point so we didn't stay too much longer. She was really upset and wanted ice for her face so thankfully some helpful lady assisted us and her wish was our command !!!

Now I am not so sure of the open air ice rink which I promised to take her to, it's in the city and they only do it this time of the year but it's really cool especially for us that are not used to the open air ice rinks. I think we will still go if we find time but I have already told Dave he needs to hold onto her until she is completely confident which of course is immediately but he needs to know better next time. I also told her, no pirouettes till she knows how to skate properly and thank heavens she agreed :-)

Anyway, here you go ...




No comments: