Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Little Hero At The Dentist

Yesterday was Jades very first dentist visit ... I believe she should have been frequenting the dentist since she was one but other than not knowing she had to go that early, I had been putting it off for a while due to my own big fear of the dentist. Anyway we are on a new dental insurance which means visits to the dentist every six months but thank heavens they are free, definitely a perk we didn't have in South Africa. I definitely feel even though and I am generalizing here, I know many Americans are very overweight and thus come across as being very unhealthy but I think people in this country definitely get way better health care benefits to what we had in SA, I just don't think they realize how lucky they are and neglect to use things like free dental cleaning twice a year and not to mention a doctors visit once a year which is almost enforced here by Dave's company and many other companies, I think it is great :-)

Anyway back to Jades dentist visit. I had heard very good and very bad reports on the dentist I was taking her to but what I liked about them other than them being a pediatric dentist so they are geared towards kids, they also don't allow the parents to go back with the dentist and the nurse, after all is said and done they come call you for a report but that is all, that's the kind of dentist I like, one where I don't have to be present and Jade won't see my fear. What is more, I guess since she is such a brave little girl, it was easy for me but some kids I know haven't done well under those circumstances. I told Jade everything I thought the dentist would do and she was very excited for her first visit. Their offices are awesome, the waiting area is full of kids activities and computer games so while you wait, the kids aren't bored and don't drive you insane. And what is more I think it keeps their minds active so they don't get nervous. Jade had such fun in there playing with all the kids.

Then the nurse came and got her and took her back to the dentist, I started getting concerned when she was back there 30 minutes and they hadn't come and called me but it wasn't much later and they did. I am very happy to report, especially since this visit was so delayed, Jade has NO cavities and none that look like they might appear in the near future, yipeeeeeeeeeeee ... must mean mom is doing a good job right LOL !!!

Yep, no cavities and her teeth are all spaced right and obviously they cannot guarantee this but the dentist didn't think Jade would ever need braces. Now obviously thing can change as teeth full out and all but that was a good news for right now. He took xrays and said everything looked great, they cleaned her teeth and apparently she was great, very brave, no tears, not even a nerve to be seen from what he says :-) I am so proud of her, golly !!! If she only knew what I thought of the dentist.

Then she was even more excited to get her picture taken with her dentist, it's a first visit picture for her scrapbook, too funny, he is quiet cute and very young, a little on the feminine side but that's ok :-) She also got a balloon, a sticker, a bouncing ball with a picture of a tooth inside, a new princess toothbrush and toothpaste and a cute t-shirt advertising their practise. I thought that was all pretty neat and it was not only a good experience for me but her too.

Today being Thursday Jade has a play date at one of her friends from schools house, golly, what a nice house !!! I went out and ran some errands while she played then and then I went and got her, she didn't want to leave she was having so much fun. She also was upset that she didn't get to swim but our weather has been so bad this week, I mean we so need all this rain but it really has put a damper, excuse the pun, on all our Summer fun. Anyway she and Evelyn will get to see each other a good amount this Summer as Everlyns mom which is also a Tracy, and I, are planning lots of get togethers :-)

Tonight is an exciting night for me, I am very possibly going to sign my first new jeweler up, she is a nurse at Jades pediatrician and although I am not sure that taking the next step in this business is something I really wanted to do, I am excited all the same, so let's see where it goes, hopefully I get her signed, hold thumbs, I will let you all know.

I don't have time to spell check or even read all this through as I am running late so I hope there aren't too many errors. Tomorrow morning we have another play date at the pool so I figured if I didn't post this now, who knows when I would get time again :-)

No comments: