Friday, December 2, 2011

Kaleidoscope On Ice

REMEMBER TO SCROLL ...

Ok so let me start at the very beginning ... how this all happened, I bumped into an old friend at Jades school one afternoon and it happened to be the afternoon Jade and I were going to the Disney On Ice Show and Jade mentioned it to Rhonda and she asked are we into ice skating and we both said well yes these shows are amazing. Anyway she works for a production company and they were presenting the Kaleidoscope On Ice later on in the year. This was a Cancer Fund Raiser and she said she would get Jade and I tickets and we went our separate ways and I thought that was that.

Anyway a couple of months later she said, I have two tickets for you and they are great seats, third row off the ice ... wow I was shocked coz this show had all the stars that I had only seen on Tv in it and couldn't wait to call Daves sister Tiana to tell her about it.

Well a week or two later Rhonda called me again saying she needed to give away tickets, seat fillers she called them, you see the show was being broadcasted on TV on Thanksgiving Day and apparently even though they made money from sales of seats their big money was made through advertising on TV during the show being aired so ove the next two or so weeks I helped her give away over 100 tickets, I could not promise people good seats but they were free :-) Most people were from the church I work at, the rest were neighbors and friends, so cool to be able to give tickets away and make people so happy :-)

Anyway on the day of the show, Jade and I did dinner together and then went off to the show, our seats really were fantastic, gosh !!! Anyway the funny thing is the show was so not what I expected, it was like we were the live audience which yeah we were but they instructed us when to applaud (hehehe) it was too funny, they told us what to do when.

Also as the stars skated and when one or two fell, they would finish their routines and then come back out minus the music and do the section where they fell again which obviously gets put together later to make a perfect skate for TV viewing. We watched Dorothy Hamill and Scott Hamilton who were the hosts mess up so many time and have to do stuff off, Scott is too funny, of course I knew he was but watching this behind the scenes taping was absolutely awesome and such an experience. It took very long though, the show got started almost an hour late coz they wanted as many seats to be filled before they stated recording so we waited and waited but got to watch Kurt Browning and Elvis Strojko mess around while warming up and also got to see some synchronised team do their thing too ... sorry Tiana, could not video this :-(

Jade obviously did not know these people but I tried to tell her how amazing they were and got a program for her to see what medals and competitions they had won, golly I was star struck for sure !!!

Anyway, I didn't want to lug the big camera in and my cellphone doesn't take great long distance pics but the photographer was right in front of us and I stole some of these pics that she posted online, only they are not obviously great quality pics but they give you the idea of what we saw. I also didn't have time to post all the pics so only the ones that were the greatest performers there that night :-)

Obviously this is Dorothy and Scott, both which are Cancer Survivors, not sure of her story but I was shocked at how unsteady she was on the ice at the end when they all went out on the ice, they broadcast from the side in shoes but at the end went on the ice with all the skaters, she almost fell, gosh.





This was when Kurt and Elvis were warming up and messing around, it was fun to see they both have such great sense of humors and they were challenging each other to do stuff, very funny but no back flips which I was sure we would see so Jade was disappointed about that.



Some Elvis pics, gosh he came up to the side right where we were and blew a kiss in my direction (hehehe) Jade said Mom ... that was for you, it was too funny and totally priceless.







Love, love, love Sasha on the ice but have always hated her attitude, she was such a show off that night too, actually was messing around so much in the finale with all the skaters out on the ice, she totally wiped out, felt bad for her but it was kinda funny.









Now my favorite but obviously he has to be, Paul Wylie, he runs a study at the church I work at and I have 'known' him for years since we have always watched his kids, he has such a great family and is such a good guy that it was great to see him in his element too :-) He has quite the fan base in Charlotte coz not only were there a bunch from us that work with him there but also he trains kids at a local rink, some of which skated that evening, inbetween stuff just to keep us occupied and these little girls and their families really made him the most popular of the skaters there that night.











And then Nancy which well I guess is just getting old, with the guys they get old but are still awesome performers and still do amazing jumps, Nancy was just old and pretty out of shape but she is just so nice that you can't help smile while she skates. Paul and her are good friends and I actually thought they would skate together as I had seen them do so before but they didn't.





And Kurt ... wow how old is this guy and the body he has on him, it's amazing, he lifted his top at the end of a routine and he is so ripped, gosh ... how old is he, I really have to go look. Probably the funniest on the ice although there were no really funny routines as such coz most skaters skated to songs that meant a lot to people they had lost to Cancer or each song had a story so ... but he was great.









This was the star of the night to me, but oh my gosh, he is the Lady Gaga of ice skating, he actually did a routine to her music which he has performed all over the world apparently and this was the last time he was doing it. He is amazing but so not my cup of tea ... yeah I will stop there ... and the outfits, stop !!!!







Well she needs no introduction ... and how old is she and look how great she looks. She only sang two or three times I was surprised, there were two other singers there that I cannot remember their names offhand but all the little girls went crazy for them.



And Jordon Sparks ... Jade couldn't remember who she was till I got home and played her some of her songs then she was star struck (hehehe).



Anyway we recorded and watched the show that was recorded and played on Thankgiving and it was sad ... it was about an hour long with so many adverts that I cannot believe some of the best stuff was not shown, too weird so that being said I am very happy we got this opportunity and well that Jade and I could have done it together. Wish you could have experienced it too Tiana or actually the whole family with how you have followed all these skaters over the years.

Maybe next year :-)

REMEMBER TO SCROLL.

No comments: