Wednesday, July 30, 2008

So Our House Is Sold !!!

Just a quick update for those that don't know ... So I had been working at cleaning the house from top to bottom, making it spotless for it to go on the market and well Dave said, all my cleaning paid off. We put our house on the market the first Friday of the month, we had an open house the Sunday, actually a neighborhood open house to which no one came which was very concerning, knowing the market is as bad as it is ... anyway that Monday afterwards a Realtor called to ask if someone could see the house Tuesday morning, so I made myself scarce while he showed the house and by that same afternoon we had our first offer, can you believe that. We negotiated for about a day and by Wednesday afternoon our house was sold !!!

We were in shock, thinking of course this was too good to be true, even though all the paperwork is done, one still wonders if this is too good to be true and if anything will happen to make it fall through, Heaven forbid. This week we will have our inspection and I am sure there will be hopefully a short list of stuff to sort out and then we close the 29th of August, yep that means we have to be out by the 29th of August, which has me in a tailspin !!! Thankfully the house won't need much of a cleanup but still ... it's going to take time.

So our house that we are contracted to build will start being built as soon as we release the contingency which Dave said we will do when we close this house, rather safe than sorry I think he feels, then because we have already done all the design center visits all that is needed is for the builder to get all his permits and then they will start building. The estimated time to build would be 6 months, of course we are going through Winter and all so hopefully 6 months will remain 6 months.

So now I am hunting down an apartment / townhouse / house to rent, the crazy thing is that you can rent a 2000 square foot house for the same as you can rent an apartment but as much as the extra space would be nice, the apartment has no upkeep, if anything goes wrong it will be fixed as staff is on 24 hour call, not to mention the amenities are just so much nicer and I think we will be so much happier there. I spent the entire yesterday looking at apartments which Jade calls hotels, they actually look a lot like hotels so she is not too far wrong ... but yeah, I really think I want to go with an apartment, but we have to take all our storage into account, do we rent a garage or do we use something like a Pod ? Oh well that still needs to be decided but we have to secure a place this week still as we want to start moving in around the 15th.

So it's going to be a busy month, that is for sure !!! On top of all that, Jade starts school the last week of August, I had banked on her being in school that week as it will help me get sorted out, but they do a staggered Kindergarten here which means that only one day in that week she will be at school full day, then the following week after the Labor Day weekend, she starts full time !!!

Even more on top of that, I was planning to take Dave away on his birthday weekend that weekend, starting the 29th, I haven't booked anything yet, I know what the plan is but I think as soon as we sort out our apartment or wherever we will be staying, I will feel happier about making a firm booking, I think we will really need the break there and if I can pull this off it will be perfect but let's wait and see. It will be the last long weekend in a while so I really was trying to take advantage of it !!!

Something else exciting even though it's only for one day, Dave's cousin Brent is on a road trip down to Texas with two other, I do believe, South Africans and he has asked to stay with us this coming Monday night, we are excited for guests and even though it's only for one night, I am glad my house is still in tact :-) I promised them a big SA braai !!! Which hopefully will make them arrive earlier, also they wanted to visit the SA store and of course we are excited to show family the house we are going to build so hopefully they don't come too late in the day, they are driving from Washington which is a long drive so we will see :-)

And that's pretty much it, Jade has been battling a cold but she is amazing, you hardly know she is sick when she is, this morning I woke up with a sort throat, I am hoping it's nothing but I'm holding thumbs, I can't afford to get a cold now !!!

That's me for now, I probably will update you all more later in August.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Congrats, how exciting. I know all that needs to be prepared is hard, but just take it one day at a time. I am also packing so will think of you as well.

Take care
Jennifer